just a thought and wondering if there are others interested in organzing this.

just a thought and wondering if there are others interested in organzing this. I had someone ask me about Essex and where to go to catch up on the story. Of course there are sources and pieces but it is so complex.  I was thinking, could we organize a hangout or a place to post where new players could ask any and all lore related questions and whomever is there works to answer the questions and point them to the resources.

Yes, I know there is the concept of having a person explore and find the answers on their own, and for something, I agree, but as the universe grows bigger, the task becomes more and more daunting. For some even knowing where to go to answer some of the Essex questions is a huge hurdle.  

I am thinking of a place were the same question may be asked 100 times and it may seem very simple. You know, like the info station at the airport that has 100 people ask every day which way to the restrooms when the sign is right behind them....

Not quite sure of how to accomplish that, but I think something like that more than throwing a manual or even a video at someone may help bring in some of the new players.... asking questions is a major way humans learn

Just a thought

Comments

  1. I like this idea, however I'm conflicted.  I've always just kinda jumped into the discussions, and others have filled in the gaps. I've almost always found someone in the group that can fill in the random details.  Plus it spawns great discussion.  I usually end up on one of those endless wiki trails once I get going, and I end up discovering a lot more to the story.  Maybe we could have one session to get people started at least with what we've been talking about recently?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do like, not sure how I feel about ANOTHER hangout though

    ReplyDelete
  3. perhaps a wiki style google doc with FAQs? people could ask questions in comments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. in the Essex Hangout Drew Dondero brought up this post's topic - I copied the chat section into a google docs - one idea is creating a Live session format for some of the videos (the initial P.A. Chapeau videos and the year in review Ingress Report Videos) and making the "script" available so people could host their own version of the session and new agents attending could ask questions (bringing a social piece to the story part of things)

    Is there interest in this?

    https://docs.google.com/document/d/18cUA9Te0Wf-lk_jJ9RsTVB0e3Hef40TttnGJAeF-h8k/edit?usp=sharing

    ReplyDelete
  5. JoJo Stratton I'd be down. I think that there is a particular way each person understands and relates to concepts and the smarter the person is the easier it is for them to get the meanings to the history, motifs, and the tropes, and the character archetypes. and just imagine asking a programer who has played since the beginning to explain it to an 18 year old girl who's boyfriend got her to play. It isn't impossible but it is taxing on the psyche of those being asked to give cliff notes and offer clarifications to a variety of facts. but, like I said I'M DOWN! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree to be a good tool, offering it for a variety of audiences is very important (you give two great opposite end of the spectrum examples)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Created a Wiki page for the RPG being played at the MAGNUS Reawakens event - please help add intel and share...