I was questioning "Why bother to keep the magnus' bodies alive?

I was questioning "Why bother to keep the magnus' bodies alive? on another thread, and I think I might be satisfied with this answer:

"...long before we were conscious, thinking beings, our cells were reading data from the environment and working together to mould us into robust, self-sustaining agents. What we take as intelligence, then, is not simply about using symbols to represent the world as it objectively is. Rather, we only have the world as it is revealed to us, which is rooted in our evolved, embodied needs as an organism. Nature ‘has built the apparatus of rationality not just on top of the apparatus of biological regulation, but also from it and with it’, wrote the neuroscientist Antonio Damasio in Descartes’ Error (1994), his seminal book on cognition. In other words, we think with our whole body, not just with the brain."

Perhaps, in recruiting adult bodies, the architects of the machine get a couple decades or more of biological expertise at sorting and prioritizing human, earthly, input, not just from one point of view but from multiple "archetypes" of humans?

https://aeon.co/ideas/the-body-is-the-missing-link-for-truly-intelligent-machines
https://aeon.co/ideas/the-body-is-the-missing-link-for-truly-intelligent-machines

Comments

  1. I'm guessing that when you say 'the magnus' bodies', you're referring to the bodies of the Researchers that form the Magnus.

    From what I can tell the bodies are kept alive because without them, they'd probably be dead. Given that they're simulacra as of now, the mortal body probably acts as an anchor keeping them in this world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, sorry. Thanks for clarifying.
    I was looking for an answer that was a little more science based, I'm not really a believer in astral projections and such.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good study and great research.
    Thanks for sharing this, really! Isabel Kessler

    ReplyDelete
  4. What I'd love is to be able to make some observations, run some non-invasive tests on the researchers' bodies. I feel like this was probably done but the research obviously isn't published, for ethical reasons.

    I have contacts at both MGH and MIT if anyone wants to shoot the bull over coffee here in Boston. I'm.not saying we should re-attempt any of Calvin's experiments but there's always fruit flies and mice. Honestly if you pitched it right you could probably pull plenty of volunteers, but it wouldn't seem right without some background work on lab animals.
    I know a guy who's /thing/ is keeping fruit flies in suspended animation with the goal of reviving them with fertility and learned behaviors intact.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The pieces are floating around that Calvin knew what he was looking for when he built up the Niantic Project and recruited its members...

    I'm not sure whether he had any research done on the researchers' bodies post-mortem. He probably wouldn't have needed to do any if he was a member of the Anti-Magnus and therefore had the knowledge of how simulacra operate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michell Smith I might also look into Jahan's biochem research and see if there's a thesis or any published work. Do we know her surname?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isabel Kessler
    I would not be wrong, but until now about Jahan we only know her name.
    Nothing about her is leaked, with exception of the fact that his family has historically been part of a Magnus - correct me if I'm wrong - and that she, in contrast, is part of a antiMagnus

    I am convinced of the idea that his bio engineering capabilities are much increased, however, after she had access to "N'zeer network", time ago.

    ReplyDelete
  8. No, but she's a biochemist and I'm a biomed scientist. I might be able to find hints about the information I'm looking for in her old research in the form of weird confirmation bias.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Michell Smith​ so, i was wrong. Thanks for the corrections.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Michell Smith​. Im here for that ;P

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice hunt. No more personal info on her? A surname maybe? Or some other "easter egg" data into videos and media?

    ReplyDelete
  12. On my way Michell Smith​​

    Edit
    Cant add you on an HO chat. There are too many with your name on g+ :V

    ReplyDelete
  13. I owe you one, dude Michell Smith​

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Created a Wiki page for the RPG being played at the MAGNUS Reawakens event - please help add intel and share...