This question was prompted by my earlier post about looking at ADA from a programmer's point of view, but it's...
This question was prompted by my earlier post about looking at ADA from a programmer's point of view, but it's really more of a general one. What's a good way to organize collaborative research projects?
I've tried Google Docs, Evernote, various other things. I've had wiki software work well for some projects, horribly for others. I recently searched online for suggestions from people working on PhD research projects and if I were to tally all the suggestions, note cards would likely win. :-)
I've seen so many collaborative projects start and then fade, and I don't think it's due so much to lack of interest as lack of a good way to organize and communicate information and ideas. This isn't Ingress-specific, it could apply to nearly any field of research, and I know there are some VERY experienced people on here. What have you found works well?
I've tried Google Docs, Evernote, various other things. I've had wiki software work well for some projects, horribly for others. I recently searched online for suggestions from people working on PhD research projects and if I were to tally all the suggestions, note cards would likely win. :-)
I've seen so many collaborative projects start and then fade, and I don't think it's due so much to lack of interest as lack of a good way to organize and communicate information and ideas. This isn't Ingress-specific, it could apply to nearly any field of research, and I know there are some VERY experienced people on here. What have you found works well?
Google wave worked well for me once. Sad they put it down.
ReplyDeleteGood question
ReplyDeleteI know the perfect tool for that, Google Wave!
ReplyDeleteSo basically the best software to manage a Google-related project is one that Google killed?
ReplyDeleteCherie Brush Yep.
ReplyDeleteJason Stephens
ReplyDeleteJason Stephens Drive won't do?
ReplyDeleteThomas Arteaga I'm sure it "would do", but it isn't Wave. Were you in the Wave beta? It was an amazing tool for collaborative projects. Comparing Wave to Drive is like comparing a mechanical pencil to GIMP. The pencil will do to write and erase, that's about it.
ReplyDeleteJason Stephens I was not, and you are making it sound amazing.
ReplyDeleteThomas Arteaga Well, if you're bored some day (or really curious) look for the video from the google I/O where the unveiled it. It was pretty cool, very much real-time. One of the most amazing things on it was real-time translation using google translate, so you could literally chat with people in any language.
ReplyDeleteI'd signed up for Wave when it came out, just unfortunately never got around to using it.
ReplyDeleteAs for Google Drive, I've used Docs for things, but Drive itself I never could get to sync properly in either direction.
Cherie Brush Does this help?
ReplyDeletehttp://frontapp.com
https://trello.com is a site that I haven't gotten to use much, but looks like a great way to organize collaboratively.
ReplyDeleteI use Google Drive regularly for individual and group projects. The shared folders and commenting features are indispensable.
Thomas Arteaga and Kelly Kolton, thanks, I'll take a look at those. Google Drive would seem the obvious choice (for a Google project, I mean), but every project I've ever worked on there has kind of... died.
ReplyDeleteI'm still (slowly - I've been resting trying to fight off a cold) collecting my own info and seeing what the list of requirements turns into. Links to the posts, to the original docs, OCR versions of those docs, metadata (file names and IDs, dates, etc), relevant quotes from the content, questions based on those quotes, cross-referencing...
This type of research is done in various fields all the time, successfully. There have got to be better methods than trying to shoehorn all this stuff into the methods I've tried so far.